Re: synchronous_commit: Developer's View - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: synchronous_commit: Developer's View
Date
List pgsql-hackers
"Florian G. Pflug" <fgp@phlo.org> writes:
> ... So at least for the pl/pgsql case, it seems easy enough to temporarily
> change GUCs already. For other PLs, things might be different though -
> I wouldn't know, I have never really used them...

It's definitely possible, but it's inconvenient and slow (slow because
you have to run a subtransaction, which ain't cheap).  I think Simon
might have a good point about generalizing the proposed "set the search
path" facility to instead be "set any GUC for the duration of this
function".  He's definitely all wet about the usefulness of that for
synchronous_commit, but as Greg pointed out, there are other GUCs
besides search_path that can break a function's expectations.