Re: BUG #14198: IPv6 address validation broken - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: BUG #14198: IPv6 address validation broken
Date
List pgsql-bugs
stefan@kaltenbrunner.cc writes:
> IPv6 address validation seems to be a "tad" broken in all current
> releases:

Hmm, looks like we need this at inet_net_pton.c:499:

            else if (*src == '\0')
                goto enoent;
            if (tp + NS_INT16SZ > endp)
-                return (0);
+                goto enoent;
            *tp++ = (u_char) (val >> 8) & 0xff;
            *tp++ = (u_char) val & 0xff;
            saw_xdigit = 0;

A bit of googling suggests that this is equally broken in assorted
BSD distributions, which is likely where we got the code from
originally.  I wonder who we can report it to?

            regards, tom lane