Re: Dumping database using 8.1 or 7.1 - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Jonathan Vallar
Subject Re: Dumping database using 8.1 or 7.1
Date
Re: Dumping database using 8.1 or 7.1  ("Jaime Casanova" <systemguards@gmail.com>)
List pgsql-general
Hi guys!

I was able to dump my database created on Postgres 7.1.2 to Postgres  8.1.4 .

It was a little hassle though because I have to manually remove "\M" from the dump file. This is manageable.

I am stucked though with one problem
psql:si_t2:36: ERROR:  missing data for column "remarks"
CONTEXT: COPY si_t2, line 145: <some data>

Upon checking line 145, there are no weird characters. Upon checking the whole dump file, the db dump still containts

Sample data:
"jonathan \"
" "

I manually removed "\" and the new line. The problem still persists. According to the table schema, the "remarks" field allows blank or null values.

The database already has missing triggers and also has missing stored procedures. I assume, some tables are corrupted. The pg_dump of postgres 7.1.2 is unable to dump the db tables, triggers and stored procs.
The pg_dump utility returns an error that it cannot dump missing triggers but are still at the database catalogue.

Does this mean that I really cannot dump my database?

Thanks!

Regards,

Jonathan

On 8/8/06, Alvaro Herrera < alvherre@commandprompt.com> wrote:
Jonathan Vallar wrote:
> Thanks sir.
>
> Is it safe to use the Postgres 8.1.4 pg_dump utility to dump data from a
> postgres 7.1.2 database?

Yes.

--
Alvaro Herrera                                http://www.CommandPrompt.com/