Re: performance versus order of fields in row - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: performance versus order of fields in row
Date
List pgsql-general
"D. Stimits" <stimits@comcast.net> writes:
> I'm not looking for an exact answer here, but instead something more
> "rule of thumb". If I have a table with many fields, and I retrieving
> small groups of fields during a SELECT, whereby the groups of fields are
> indexed and/or clustered, will I get a faster select in the left-most
> fields, or the right-most fields? Or will it not matter?

Fields earlier in the table definition (further to the left) are
marginally faster to access than ones further to the right.  I doubt it
would be real noticeable unless you had hundreds of fields altogether.

            regards, tom lane