Re: [HACKERS] pid file for postmaster? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: [HACKERS] pid file for postmaster?
Date
Re: [HACKERS] pid file for postmaster?  (Michael Meskes <meskes@postgresql.org>)
List pgsql-hackers
> It would be nice if postmaster has its own pid file to send signals to
> it. I think the pid file could be placed under $PGDATA. Opinions?

Yes, that's been discussed before, and I think it's even got an entry
on the TODO list.  If you've got time to tackle it now, great!

$PGDATA seems like the right place to put the file, since we can only
have one active postmaster at a time in a database directory.

I assume you'll also create a script that sends SIGTERM or other
requested signal to the postmaster, using this file?