Re: unsupported frontend protocol - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: unsupported frontend protocol
Date
List pgsql-general
Bucks vs Bytes Inc <postgresql@bucksvsbytes.com> writes:
> The database was created although there were a variety of errors which I
> realized were due to 7.4.3 and 7.3.4 SQL incompatibilities. I had also
> added a new entry to pg_hba.conf. After restarting the 7.3.4 postmaster
> I started getting an endless series of "FATAL: unsupported frontend
> protocol" messages, even when not using psql.

Not surprising if you are using 7.4 or later client libraries.  Those
will try to connect using the PG V3 protocol (added in 7.4).  libpq, at
least, will fall back to the older protocol if V3 doesn't work, but
I am not sure whether PHP uses libpq.

            regards, tom lane