Re: pg_upgrade --jobs - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Adrian Klaver
Subject Re: pg_upgrade --jobs
Date
List pgsql-general
On 4/6/19 5:47 PM, senor wrote:
> Thanks Tom for the explanation. I assumed it was my ignorance of how the schema was handled that was making this look
likea problem that had already been solved and I was missing something.

> I fully expected the "You're Doing It Wrong" part. That is out of my control but not beyond my influence.
>
> I suspect I know the answer to this but have to ask. Using a simplified example where there are 100K sets of 4
tables,each representing the output of a single job, are there any shortcuts to upgrading that would circumvent
exportingthe entire schema? I'm sure a different DB design would be better but that's not what I'm working with.

An answer is going to depend on more information:

1) What is the time frame for moving from one version to another?
Both the setup and the actual downtime.

2) There are 500,000+ tables, but what is the amount of data involved?

3) Are all the tables active?

4) How are the tables distributed across databases in the cluster and
schemas in each database?

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com