Re: BUG #2164: Very minor, very low priority SQL parser 'bug' with /* */ comments - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: BUG #2164: Very minor, very low priority SQL parser 'bug' with /* */ comments
Date
List pgsql-bugs
"John Engelhart" <johne_ganz@yahoo.com> writes:
> It looks like there's a minor problem with the SQL parser where it tokenizes
> any */ to mean 'end of comment block'.

You appear to be suggesting that given

the parser should think that the $$ is significant.  Sorry, that's *not*
going to happen, as it's undeniably contrary to the letter and spirit of
the SQL spec.  Per spec, comments are insensitive to any contents except
*/ and /*.  We can bolt on the nonstandard $$ syntax in contexts where
that would be a syntax error, but we can't redefine the meaning of text
that the spec has a clear interpretation for.

If that wasn't what you meant, please clarify ...

            regards, tom lane