Re: ALTER TABLE lock strength reduction patch is unsafe - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: ALTER TABLE lock strength reduction patch is unsafe
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Noah Misch <noah@leadboat.com> writes:
> On Mon, Dec 19, 2011 at 12:05:09PM -0500, Robert Haas wrote:
>> Yet another option, which I wonder whether we're dismissing too
>> lightly, is to just call GetSnapshotData() and do the scan using a
>> plain old MVCC snapshot.  Sure, it's more expensive than SnapshotNow,
>> but is it expensive enough to worry about?

That might actually be workable ...

> I created a function that does this in a loop:

>         HeapTuple t;

>         CatalogCacheFlushCatalog(ProcedureRelationId);
>         t = SearchSysCache1(PROCOID, ObjectIdGetDatum(42) /* int4in */);
>         if (!HeapTupleIsValid(t))
>             elog(ERROR, "cache lookup failed for function 42");
>         ReleaseSysCache(t);

... but this performance test seems to me to be entirely misguided,
because it's testing a situation that isn't going to occur much in the
field, precisely because the syscache should prevent constant reloads of
the same syscache entry.

Poking around a bit, it looks to me like one of the bigger users of
non-cache-fronted SnapshotNow scans is dependency.c.  So maybe testing
the speed of large cascaded drops would be a more relevant test case.
For instance, create a schema containing a few thousand functions, and
see how long it takes to drop the schema.

Another thing that would be useful to know is what effect such a change
would have on the time to run the regression tests with
CLOBBER_CACHE_ALWAYS.  That has nothing to do with any real-world
performance concerns, but it would be good to see if we're going to
cause a problem for the long-suffering buildfarm member that does that.