Re: Practical impediment to supporting multiple SSL libraries - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Practical impediment to supporting multiple SSL libraries
Date
Re: Practical impediment to supporting multiple SSL libraries  (Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog@svana.org>)
List pgsql-hackers
> On Fri, Apr 14, 2006 at 10:42:33AM -0400, Greg Stark wrote:
>> As long as there's a defined wire protocol (and there will always be
>> one) then there's nothing wrong with what the psqlODBC driver is doing

> Well, the main motivation for this is that when a new version of the
> protocol appears, libpq will support it but psqlODBC won't. If libpq
> provides a way to get these small bits of the unparsed stream in a
> protocol independant way, then that problem goes away.

Greg's observation is correct, so maybe we are overthinking this
problem.  A fair question to ask is whether psqlODBC would consider
going back to a non-hybrid implementation if these features did exist
in libpq.

> There are a number of other (primarily driver) projects that would
> benefit from being able to bypass the PGresult structure for storing
> data.

Please mention some specific examples.  We need some examples as a
reality check.