Re: tie user processes to postmaster was:(Re: [HACKERS] scheduler in core) - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

> Regarding hooks or events, I think postmaster should be kept simple:
> launch at start, reset at crash recovery, kill at stop.  Salt and pepper
> allowed but that's about it -- more complex ingredients are out of the
> question due to added code to postmaster, which we want to be as robust
> as possible and thus not able to cook much of anything else.

This is exactly why I think the whole proposal is a nonstarter.  It is
necessarily pushing more complexity into the postmaster, which means
an overall reduction in system reliability.  There are some things
I'm willing to accept extra postmaster complexity for, but I say again
that not one single one of the arguments made in this thread are
convincing reasons to take that risk.