Re: Logging select statements - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Matthew Horoschun
Subject Re: Logging select statements
Date
List pgsql-sql
Hi Rudi,

You can't trigger on a SELECT, but you could wrap your SQL in a set
returning function...

http://techdocs.postgresql.org/guides/SetReturningFunctions

Here is a rough and ready solution:

CREATE TABLE access_log ( id int not null );

CREATE TABLE datatable (id int not null primary key,somedata varchar(255) not null);

INSERT INTO datatable VALUES( 1, 'apple' );
INSERT INTO datatable VALUES( 2, 'orange' );
INSERT INTO datatable VALUES( 3, 'banana' );

CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION get_rows_and_log( varchar ) RETURNS SETOF
record AS
'DECLARE    r record;BEGIN    FOR r IN EXECUTE ''SELECT * FROM '' || $1 LOOP        INSERT INTO access_log VALUES( r.id
);       RETURN NEXT r;    END LOOP;    RETURN;END;

'
LANGUAGE 'plpgsql';

Now, as an example, do:

SELECT * FROM get_rows_and_log( 'datatable' ) AS data( id int, somedata
varchar);

You'll get the data returned, and the log entries will be made.

You can put your WHERE clause in the parameter:

SELECT * FROM get_rows_and_log( 'datatable WHERE somedata LIKE ''%e'''
) AS data( id int, somedata varchar);

Hope that is what you were after!

Cheers

Matthew.