Re: Are we losing momentum? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Are we losing momentum?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Robert Treat <xzilla@users.sourceforge.net> writes:
> On Tue, 2003-04-15 at 13:30, ow wrote:
>> One of the features that PostgreSql must have, IMHO, is support for
>> cross-db operations (queries, updates, deletes, inserts). 2PC and
>> cross-server stuff would be nice but it's not as important as simple
>> cross -db operations across databases on the same server. All major
>> comercial RDBMS (and even mySql!) support this but for Postgres. Sad.

> dblink ?

I'm of the opinion that the availability of schemas solves most of the
problems that people say they need cross-database access for.  If you
want cross-database access, first say why putting your data into several
schemas in a single database doesn't get the job done for you.

(Obviously, this only addresses cases where you'd have put the multiple
databases under one postmaster, but that's the scenario people seem to be
concerned about.)