Re: Frontend error logging style - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Frontend error logging style
Date
Re: Frontend error logging style  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
List pgsql-hackers
> What about adding a pg_fatal() that's pg_log_fatal() + exit()? That keeps
> pg_log_* stuff "log only", but adds something adjacent enough to hopefully
> reduce future misunderstandings?

I'd be okay with that, except that pg_upgrade already has a pg_fatal
(because it has its *own* logging system, just in case you thought
this wasn't enough of a mess yet).  I'm in favor of aligning
pg_upgrade's logging with the rest, but I'd hoped to leave that for
later.  Making the names collide would be bad even as a short-term
thing, I fear.

Looks like libpq_pipeline.c has its own pg_fatal, too.

I'm not against choosing some name other than pg_log_fatal, but that
particular suggestion has got conflicts.  Got any other ideas?