Re: [HACKERS] I feel the need for speed. What am I doing wrong? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: [HACKERS] I feel the need for speed. What am I doing wrong?
Date
List pgsql-general
"Dann Corbit" <DCorbit@connx.com> writes:
> Yikes!  Five times slower!  But then I took Tom's incredibly helpful
> suggestion to disable the sequential scan:

Ideally, you shouldn't have to do that.  Now that you have the correct
indexes in place, could you show us the EXPLAIN ANALYZE output for both
cases (enable_seqscan = on and off)?

Also, you might try leaving enable_seqscan = on, and seeing how far you
have to decrease random_page_cost to get the planner to choose
indexscan.

            regards, tom lane