From Thomas F.O'Connell
Subject Re: Too many clients----A big problem for my team
Date
List pgsql-admin
Well, first of all, max_connections can only be set at server start.
Are you restarting postgres when you do "trial and error changes"?

Secondly, 5 users can still manage to make multiple connections. You
can use ps to see how many connections are active at any given time.

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.0/static/monitoring.html#MONITORING-PS

-tfo

--
Thomas F. O'Connell