Localized error messages, wrong charset - Mailing list pgsql-odbc

From Kenneth Lundin
Subject Localized error messages, wrong charset
Date
List pgsql-odbc
Hi,

i'm coding a project in C# / VS2008 and i'm using postgres/ODBC for database connectivity. Everthing works fine except for one tiny detail, and that is that i'm having trouble with OdbcExceptions and the Message property. It seems that the Message is not in the expected charset since all swedish characters are turned into box-like characters when they are displayed in a normal MessageBox control. I'm not sure which charset windows is using internally since that is sort of invisible to the programmer, but i would have assumed it is using some sort of unicode strings.

Anyway, either the OdbcException.Message property does not return a UTF-8 string, OR it does return a UTF-8 string and Windows can not use that (but I think it is the first alternative, because if it would have returned UTF-8, there would have been several box-like characters per "real" character, and currently there is a one-to-one match).

Everywhere else, unicode/UTF-8 strings works beautifully, in Sorting, LIKE, ILIKE etc throughout the application, and it also looks correctly when i'm looking at the data using pgAdmin, so it's only the error messages that does not work.

Does anyone have any experience in this and want to share with me on this one?

BTW, i'm using the "PostgreSQL Unicode" ODBC driver.

//Kenneth