RE: [GENERAL] Case insensitive searches - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Michael J Davis
Subject RE: [GENERAL] Case insensitive searches
Date
List pgsql-general
Try:

    select some_field
       from table
       where lower(another_field) like '%substring_entered_by_user%'

    -----Original Message-----
    From:    Paulo Parola [SMTP:pgsql@brazilinfo.com]
    Sent:    Thursday, May 06, 1999 3:53 PM
    To:    pgsql-general
    Subject:    [GENERAL] Case insensitive searches

    Hi,

    When using mSQL I can perform case insensitive queries by using
statements
    like below:

       select some_field
       from table
       where another_field clike '%substring_entered_by_user%'

    How should I do that with PostgreSQL? (I understand 'clike' is not a
    standard SQL feature and there is no similar in PostgreSQL).

    If I change the substring entered by the user, lets say for example
'more',
    to the following form '[mM][oO][rR][eE]' would it work?

    And if I have words with accents (lets say 'Künstler') how should I
do to
    return the same entries no matter if the user types the accent or
not? In
    the previous case, the search should return the same values no
matter if the
    user entered the word 'Künstler' (with accent) or if he typed
'Kunstler'
    (without accent).

    TIA,
    PAulo