RE: [HACKERS] Issues with the latest 6.5 source - Mailing list pgsql-interfaces

From Michael J Davis
Subject RE: [HACKERS] Issues with the latest 6.5 source
Date
List pgsql-interfaces
Yea!!!!!  This fixes the problem.  I will test the \g option in a few hours
after I have completely repopulated my data.  How about adding a comment
about the importance of this patch?  Thanks Tom for tracking this down so
quickly.

Thanks, Michael
-----Original Message-----From:    Tom Lane [SMTP:tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us]Sent:    Wednesday, April 28, 1999 4:29 PMTo:
MichaelJ DavisCc:    pgsql-interfaces@postgreSQL.org;

pgsql-hackers@postgreSQL.orgSubject:    Re: [HACKERS] Issues with the latest 6.5 source
Michael J Davis <michael.j.davis@tvguide.com> writes:> 1)    The \g option in pgsql is failing.
Fixed.  I had managed to break the empty-query response protocol onSunday --- odd that none of the regression tests
detectedthis.

Sigh.
> 2)    My Access97 application using ODBC can't connect to the
database.
I now have a strong suspicion that this is caused by the same goof.ODBC might issue an empty query during startup.
(Thatused to be anecessary part of the startup protocol; it isn't anymore, but ODBCvery possibly hasn't been changed.)

If you don't have CVS access and don't want to wait for tonight'ssnapshot, here is the patch:
*** src/backend/tcop/dest.c~    Wed Apr 28 18:15:07 1999--- src/backend/tcop/dest.c    Wed Apr 28 18:15:45
1999******************336,342 ****               *        tell the fe that we saw an

empty query string               * ----------------               */!             pq_putbytes("I", 1);
break;           case Local:--- 336,342 ----               *        tell the fe that we saw an

empty query string               * ----------------               */!             pq_putbytes("I", 2); /* note we send
Iand

\0 */              break;            case Local:

Let us know if that helps...
            regards, tom lane