RE: [INTERFACES] Postgres to MS-Word? (Kind of off topic) - Mailing list pgsql-interfaces

From Michael Davis
Subject RE: [INTERFACES] Postgres to MS-Word? (Kind of off topic)
Date
List pgsql-interfaces
Use postgres to great a mail merge file (a text file containing the name
formatted for word mail merge).  A view and/or stored procedure is a good
candidate for creating this text file.  You can create an example of this
file using word so you can see the format.  This mail merge file needs to be
accessible on the windows machine that will be running word (SAMBA could be
used for this).  Create a document template based on this mail merge file.
Open word using the newly created document template, let the user add their
text and print their letter.  The trick will be initiating this process on
windows.  I do this sort of thing with Access using ODBC.

    -----Original Message-----
    From:    Matthew Hagerty [SMTP:matthew@venux.net]
    Sent:    Wednesday, March 03, 1999 2:05 PM
    To:    pgsql-interfaces@postgreSQL.org
    Subject:    [INTERFACES] Postgres to MS-Word? (Kind of off
topic)

    Greetings,

    Sorry, maybe a little off topic, but seems like an interface issue
to me. :)

    My client has a database of customers.  My client also wants to be
able to
    pull up a record on a client and sent a letter to that client.  The
letter
    would be canned except for the header and greeting.  Does anyone
know of a
    way to get field info into a word.doc file and print it from the
same UN*X
    server running PostgreSQL?  Any one ever do something like this?

    I cannot seem to find a good solution.

    Thanks,
    Matthew