Re: PgAdmin browses all tables, even those not allowed - Mailing list pgadmin-support

From Dave Page
Subject Re: PgAdmin browses all tables, even those not allowed
Date
List pgadmin-support
On Tue, Jan 19, 2010 at 8:57 PM, Joe Garrett <joe@garrett-is.com> wrote:
> I hearby place my vote for allowing us to hide schemas and tables that a
> user has no priviliges on (and columns too would be useful but of secondary
> importance).  I believe this is a PostgreSQL request and not a pgAdmin3
> request.  I regularly get complaints from users of my Data Warehouses that
> it is a pain for them to have to wade through lists of schemas / tables that
> they are not interested in (stage tables, system catalog, etc...) to get to
> their tables.  I know some reporting tools allow for the customization of
> the views users see, but it would be appropriate to put it at the database
> level so users see the same thing regardless of what tools they are using to
> access it.  I believe I've seen a response in the past that this is no way
> to implement security and that it will not be worked on.  This is not a
> security request, it is an end-user experience improvement request.

It'll make end-user experience a whole lot worse because there will be
no way to tell if a table you're about to try to create already
exists.

The recommended way to do this is to use per-user schemas, and filter
them as required in pgAdmin.

--
Dave Page