Re: Bug: PgAdmin not displaying typmod column types correctly in create or display - Mailing list pgadmin-support

From Dave Page
Subject Re: Bug: PgAdmin not displaying typmod column types correctly in create or display
Date
List pgadmin-support
On Wed, Jan 6, 2010 at 6:45 PM, Guillaume Lelarge
<guillaume@lelarge.info> wrote:
> The easy way to fix this is calling format_type in the query and giving
> it the atttypmod column of pg_attribute. I can't find if there are
> corner cases if I do this. Dave, do you know why there is a pgDatatype?
> it seems redundant with format_type. And the latter seems to work well
> whereas pgDatatype is surely wrong.

iirc, it was intended as a type formatting and caching mechanism, that
can not only format individual types, but can be used to populate
combo boxes and the like with sets of types/domains with minimal
overhead. For example, some of the dialogues can have quite a few
combos full of types on them, which are not always the same, and not
necessarily cheap to populate.

--
Dave Page