Re: unable starting / stopping postgresql with pgAdmin III on OS X - Mailing list pgadmin-support

From Dave Page
Subject Re: unable starting / stopping postgresql with pgAdmin III on OS X
Date
List pgadmin-support
On Mon, Dec 28, 2009 at 8:37 PM, Guillaume Lelarge
<guillaume@lelarge.info> wrote:
> Le 28/12/2009 21:15, Georges Moes a écrit :
>> I've tried to activate the start / stop option for the postgresql
>> service in pgAdmin III on my Snow Leopard Installation. The PostgreSQL
>> Version is 8.4.
>> I can start the service via terminal with:
>> geo-mbp:~ gm$ sudo su postgres
>> bash-3.2$ /Library/PostgreSQL/8.4/bin/pg_ctl -D
>> /Library/PostgreSQL/8.4/data start
>> server starting
>> bash-3.2$ /Library/PostgreSQL/8.4/bin/pg_ctl -D
>> /Library/PostgreSQL/8.4/data stop -m fast
>> waiting for server to shut down.... done
>> server stopped
>>
>> How can i use these commands in the GUI of pgAdmin III to start and stop
>> the service? I've tried the following and a few other things with no
>> success in the Properties pane under service:
>>
>> sudo su postgres -c /Library/PostgreSQL/8.4/bin/pg_ctl -D
>> /Library/PostgreSQL/8.4/data
>>

>> What's wrong with that????
>>

> The service field is only useful on Windows. What you want is not a
> feature pgAdmin has on other platforms.

Yes it does - but you'd need to play with the command to get it to
work right - I've never really tried it on the Mac. One thing you'll
certainly need to do is to configure sudo to not ask for a password
for the commands you use.

From the docs:

=====
The service field specifies parameters to control the database service
process. Its meaning is operating system dependent.

If pgAdmin is running on a Windows machine, it can control the
postmaster service if you have enough access rights. Enter the name of
the service. In case of a remote server, it must be prepended by the
machine name (e.g. PSE1\pgsql-8.0). pgAdmin will automatically
discover services running on your local machine.

If pgAdmin is running on a Unix machine, it can control processes
running on the local machine if you have enough access rights. Enter a
full path and needed options to access the pg_ctl program. When
executing service control functions, pgAdmin will append
status/start/stop keywords to this. Example:
sudo /usr/local/pgsql/bin/pg_ctl -D /data/pgsql
=====

--
Dave Page