Re: EDB taking over? - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Dave Page
Subject Re: EDB taking over?
Date
Re: EDB taking over?  (Simon Riggs <simon@2ndQuadrant.com>)
New binary installer logo  (Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us>)
List pgsql-advocacy
On Tue, Jul 7, 2009 at 10:28 AM, Andreas Pflug<pgadmin@pse-consulting.de> wrote:
> I wonder how many non-EDB contributors have seen the One-Click
> installer; I never used it until 8.4. I was quite irritated how
> prominently the EnterpriseDB lettering is placed on the installer; apart
> from a tiny "Packaged by" the graphics is a pgsql Elephant with a big
> "EnterpriseDB(tm)" on top, with no PostgreSQL lettering around. From the
> installer's appearance, you could get the impression EDB is the company
> behind postgres.

EDB *is* the company behind those installers. We have a number of
people working on them, between two and three working full time in the
lead up to 8.4 on testing and development.

The logo is a large elephant logo, which is probably 3 times the size
of the 'packaged by edb' logo. It is shown on 2 of the 9 installer
screens.

The splash screen shown by the installer at startup is based on the
blue gradient website banner, containing the elephant, and 'world's
most advanced open source database' tagline, with no EDB logo or text
etc. at all.

> I've seen some EDB impact on pgadmin's design principles a while ago;
> pgadmin could be considered as the face of pgsql (since most win32
> first-time users probably will have the first contact to pgsql via
> pgadmin), so while this message's subject is certainly an exaggeration,
> I see tendencies for EnterpriseDB to use pgsql infrastructure as
> marketing vehicle more and more.

You wrote the original EDB support in pgAdmin, so I'm not sure you can
complain too hard about that :-p. I will note that in 1.10, pgAdmin
has enhanced support for Greenplum, and unless you're running either
Postgres Plus AS or Greenplum database (where the database specific
features will become visible), pretty much wherever you see EDB in
pgAdmin, you will also see Greenplum.

--
Dave Page