Re: EDB taking over? - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Andreas Pflug
Subject Re: EDB taking over?
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
Dave Page wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 7, 2009 at 10:28 AM, Andreas Pflug<pgadmin@pse-consulting.de> wrote:
>

> EDB *is* the company behind those installers. We have a number of
> people working on them, between two and three working full time in the
> lead up to 8.4 on testing and development.

EDB appears as company behind the whole package, not just the installer.
Also please note that this message was primarily addressed to non-EDB
contributors, to check if they might feel the same.

> The splash screen shown by the installer at startup is based on the
> blue gradient website banner, containing the elephant, and 'world's
> most advanced open source database' tagline, with no EDB logo or text
> etc. at all.

Admittedly, but quite tiny, and fading fast. I recognized what can be
read there, but first-time users probably won't.

>> I've seen some EDB impact on pgadmin's design principles a while ago;
>> pgadmin could be considered as the face of pgsql (since most win32
>> first-time users probably will have the first contact to pgsql via
>> pgadmin), so while this message's subject is certainly an exaggeration,
>> I see tendencies for EnterpriseDB to use pgsql infrastructure as
>> marketing vehicle more and more.
>>

> You wrote the original EDB support in pgAdmin, so I'm not sure you can
> complain too hard about that :-p. I will note that in 1.10, pgAdmin
> has enhanced support for Greenplum, and unless you're running either
> Postgres Plus AS or Greenplum database (where the database specific
> features will become visible), pretty much wherever you see EDB in
> pgAdmin, you will also see Greenplum.

I've mentioned *design principles*, not systems or specific features
supported (actually, the opposite: std features suppressed). I've
noticed a shift that reminded me of the very first EDB pgadmin
derivative. However, I wasn't going to discuss pgadmin.

Regards,
Andreas