Re: EDB taking over? - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Dave Page
Subject Re: EDB taking over?
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
On Tue, Jul 7, 2009 at 11:12 AM, Andreas Pflug<pgadmin@pse-consulting.de> wrote:

> EDB appears as company behind the whole package, not just the installer.

That's precisely why it says 'Packaged by' prominently in the graphic,
and why in places like the Add/Remove Programs entry, and executable
resources, it says 'PostgreSQL Global Development Group' and 'The
PostgreSQL DBMS, version 8.4, packaged by EnterpriseDB'.

> Also please note that this message was primarily addressed to non-EDB
> contributors, to check if they might feel the same.

Sure, go for it. I'm not going to ignore any misleading claims that
are made though.

> I've mentioned *design principles*, not systems or specific features
> supported (actually, the opposite: std features suppressed). I've
> noticed a shift that reminded me of the very first EDB pgadmin
> derivative.

I've never used the original EDB derivative (except maybe for 5
minutes, many years ago), and noone in EDB has any say over what I put
in pgAdmin, other than to make suggestions. Any design principles that
may have changed are therefore entirely down to me (and I think I
earned the right to steer that project a little :-p )..

> However, I wasn't going to discuss pgadmin.

<shrug> you brought it up.

:-)

--
Dave Page