Re: [Windows] Feedback on PG? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Dave Page
Subject Re: [Windows] Feedback on PG?
Date
Re: [Windows] Feedback on PG?  ("Leif B. Kristensen" <leif@solumslekt.org>)
List pgsql-general
On Wed, May 20, 2009 at 7:38 AM, Ivan Sergio Borgonovo
<mail@webthatworks.it> wrote:
> On Wed, 20 May 2009 06:59:28 -0400
> Dave Page <dpage@pgadmin.org> wrote:
>
>> On Wed, May 20, 2009 at 6:49 AM, Ivan Sergio Borgonovo
>> <mail@webthatworks.it> wrote:
>> ]
>> > I was surprised how polished the installation was.
>>
>> Thanks :-)
>
> Beside the fact I can only thank for all the great work around
> postgresql, is there a reason we can't have something similar on eg.
> Debian that will let us have a tuning wizard and a debugger that
> "just works" with an aptitude install?

No, other than resources. We maintain close to 100 installers now,
just for the EnterpriseDB supplied packages. Producing
platform-specific builds of them as well as the one-click installers
would be a mammoth task.

> oh and yeah... I know a "Tuning Wizard" is evil and will hide all
> the true unleashed hidden wonderful power you can really squeeze out
> of Postgresql and corrupt your soul... but still ;)

It's pitched as a ''get you started" tool. We still expect you to have
to do some application specific work for optimal performance, but it
can get you a reasonable default config based on a few questions about
your workload, and examination of your system.

--
Dave Page