package for debugger/wizard was: Feedback on PG? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Ivan Sergio Borgonovo
Subject package for debugger/wizard was: Feedback on PG?
Date
List pgsql-general
On Wed, 20 May 2009 07:46:02 -0400
Dave Page <dpage@pgadmin.org> wrote:

> > Beside the fact I can only thank for all the great work around
> > postgresql, is there a reason we can't have something similar on
> > eg. Debian that will let us have a tuning wizard and a debugger
> > that "just works" with an aptitude install?

> No, other than resources. We maintain close to 100 installers now,
> just for the EnterpriseDB supplied packages. Producing
> platform-specific builds of them as well as the one-click
> installers would be a mammoth task.

My universe is Debian bound... so I even don't know if there is a
*nix version of the tuning wizard.
I'd consider it a quite useful tool even for "marketing" purposes on
Linux too.
Bad performance without tuning is a common thread here.
I really didn't have time to investigate about the debugger, I'd
expect that on Windows it "just works".
While many things on *nix just work, debugging pg functions on Linux
is not one of those.
As you may have guessed my definition of "just works" in not that
different from "aptitude install".

I still have to find an howto for installing edb in Debian.
Could it be packaged for Debian if there were resources?

> It's pitched as a ''get you started" tool. We still expect you to

Exactly.

--
Ivan Sergio Borgonovo
http://www.webthatworks.it