Re: [Windows] Feedback on PG? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Dave Page
Subject Re: [Windows] Feedback on PG?
Date
Re: [Windows] Feedback on PG?  (Ivan Sergio Borgonovo <mail@webthatworks.it>)
Re: [Windows] Feedback on PG?  (Greg Smith <gsmith@gregsmith.com>)
List pgsql-general
On Wed, May 20, 2009 at 6:49 AM, Ivan Sergio Borgonovo
<mail@webthatworks.it> wrote:
]
> I was surprised how polished the installation was.

Thanks :-)

> On Windows the installer even comes with a couple of goodies more:
> namely a tuning wizard and some debugging components.
> Nothing that really make you miss the *nix environment... but still
> a quite nice impressing experience.
>
> I was even surprised to see the installer offer you a chance to
> install Drupal.

Note that the tuning wizard and drupal installation are not included
in the main installer, but are examples of a number of pre-configured
packages you can download and install using the StackBuilder utilitiy
which PostgreSQL comes with. There are a bunch of other apps as well,
and all are designed to 'just work'.

> For "updating"... PostgreSQL is still not able to do "hot upgrades"
> from major versions. You've to backup->restore.
> On Debian... this happens auto-magically... I've no idea about what
> the Windows installer can do when upgrading.

Minor version upgrades with just update the current installation.
Major versions may be installed in parallel, and it's up to you to
dump/reload or use tools like pg_migrator.

Whilst I'm emailing - the thread earlier mentioned virus scanners as a
common source of problems (in fact, Craig gave a nice explanation of
why). The machines used to build the installers (which includes
regression testing etc) all run either Sophos AV, or AVG Free Edition,
neither of which I've ever had any problems with when working on
PostgreSQL.

--
Dave Page