Re: Greenplum patch as a diff file - Mailing list pgadmin-hackers

From Dave Page
Subject Re: Greenplum patch as a diff file
Date
List pgadmin-hackers
On Tue, Mar 10, 2009 at 3:18 AM, Chuck McDevitt <cmcdevitt@greenplum.com> wrote:
> Since I'm not sure about the diff I just sent, here is a svn diff

I've committed the revised patch, though I did need to make some
fairly extensive changes to get it into an acceptable state. I still
consider it to be fairly incomplete feature-wise, though it is an
improvement over the previous Greenplum support, and I think all the
nasty gotchas have now been cleaned up.

In the interests of preventing the same problems occuring again,
here's what I changed:

- Changes to hbaConfigFileFactory::StartDialog and
mainConfigFileFactory::StartDialog were removed. The changes made
changed the behaviour of them into hbaConfigFactory::StartDialog and
mainConfigFactory::StartDialog. The former are intended to open config
files from the local filesystem, the latter using pg_file_read() via a
connection to a server.

- I added a gpPartition::Refresh function so the treeview could
refresh properly in the even of a change to a partition object.

- Added code to gpResQueue::ShowTreeDetail to display the thresholds
and auto commit setting in the properties list for resource queues.

- Fixed the graphical explain to allow it to render a plan with nodes
with an average cost of zero. This doesn't happen in
PostgreSQL/EnterpriseDB (at least without some pretty funky
non-standard tuning parameters), but does on Greenplum with a brand
new empty table which caused an arrow to be rendered such that it
obscured the entire plan.

- Fixed dlgExtTable:
    * When viewing an existing table, display the definition.
    * Remove 'AS' from the generated SQL, which is not part of the
Greenplum syntax.
    * Fix the ALTER TABLE ... SET OWNER statement (ALTER EXTERNAL
TABLE is not supported).
    * Fix the dialogue so it doesn't think there has been a change to
the object when nothing has been modified.
    * Fix the COMMENT ON statement (COMMENT ON EXTERNAL TABLE is not supported).
    * Removed the useless Apply button.

- Disabled the default value textbox when viewing the properties of an
external table column.

- Removed a broken sub-collection of external tables form under an
external table node (copy 'n' paste error??)

- Prevented the addition of columns to external tables.

- Removed dlgPartition entirely. It was a 2000+ line copy of dlgTable,
with the buttons to add/remove columns removed!?!?! (that's completely
unacceptable from a maintenance perspective) This appears to have been
options to add columns to partitions - however you seem to have fixed
those options if selected from the treeview, so currently they are
also available on dlgTable which is once again used for partitions.

- Added support for PDF helpfiles, which wasn't implemented per my
previous comments.

- Modfiied gpPartition::GetSql() to allow localisation of the note
about the DDL, and shorten said note.

I should note that I would normally have bounced this back for
reworking, particularly as some of these issues could have been picked
up with basic testing, however in this case I fixed it as I reviewed
in the interests of not delaying the beta.

--
Dave Page