Re: help for "quick search" - Mailing list pgadmin-hackers

From Dave Page
Subject Re: help for "quick search"
Date
List pgadmin-hackers
On Sun, Mar 8, 2009 at 10:17 AM, Levente Torok <toroklev@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sunday 08 March 2009, you wrote:
>>
>> I don't believe that is possible. You shouldn't be implementing the
>> search result display in that way anyway in my opinion - what you're
>> implementing there is a filter, not a search. I would expect results
>> to be listed in a Window, and a double-click on any row should select
>> and bring the corresponding node into view on the treeview.
>>

> I believe it would require too much user interaction and no benefit compared to
> manual search.

I'm guessing you never worked on a large database? :-)

> I suggest not even to have a search button but do filter operating
> on-the-fly. This should be similar to the quick search of new synaptic (in ubuntu).

In that case you need to decide whether your are building a filter or
a search tool. A search tool is what we have on the todo list - a
filter is likely to be much harder to implement and not be as useful -
consider a search on a fairly common string. The search tool will list
all the results in one place and allow you to jump to a specific one,
having shown other information such as owner and comment in the
results list, whilst a filter could still leave results scattered in
various places in the tree and will require you to select each tree
node in turn to examine the additional detail you need to determine
which is the item you're interested in.

--
Dave Page