Re: Patch to add Windows 7 support - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Dave Page
Subject Re: Patch to add Windows 7 support
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Jan 27, 2009 at 11:38 AM, Magnus Hagander <magnus@hagander.net> wrote:
> Peter Eisentraut wrote:
>> On Tuesday 27 January 2009 12:34:56 Dave Page wrote:
>>> I'm not entirely sure what has change in the SCM to cause this yet
>>> (Windows 7 documentation is somewhat thin on the ground at the
>>> moment), but the patch avoids theporblem by only setting
>>> JOB_OBJECT_UILIMIT_HANDLES on earlier OSs.
>
> Does the SCM just terminate the process, or does it at some point give
> us an error code?

Just the ubiquitous DLL initialization error.

> I don't think it's enough that we need to care about it really. I'm
> thinking we could perhaps even just never set that, and not bother with
> the version check...

That was how I originally coded it, but figured we might as well set
it if we can - it's not like it's expensive to do.

> But perhaps we should set it only when launching as a service, and not
> when running from the commandline?

We could. I'm not sure there's a great deal of need - most people will
run as a service, and it won't make any difference for those that
start the postmaster directly.

--
Dave Page