Re: pgScript patch - Mailing list pgadmin-hackers

From Dave Page
Subject Re: pgScript patch
Date
List pgadmin-hackers
On Tue, Aug 12, 2008 at 12:51 PM, Mickael Deloison <mdeloison@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi,

> The big question. You told me that my first patch is a huge patch.

Yes, but that was just a passing comment - I didn't mean we shouldn't
use it, or that you needed to reduce the size. I hope you didn't spend
too much time on it because of a misunderstanding.

> Indeed! A big code review is required and perhaps a lot of more tests.
> So maybe this way of doing (separate program) is good for now. What's
> your opinion about that? Should I keep pgScript code integrated into
> pgAdmin or should I keep it as a separate program?

Well that really is an interesting question. I'm not sure I know the
answer, so I'll attempt to sum up some pros and cons and see what the
other hackers think:

Pro integration:

- One less dependency for packages to worry about
- One build system to maintain
- Functionality is more responsive
- No problems with different DLL versions if builds come from
different machines.
- Cannot be broken by moving one exe etc.

Pro seperation:

- pgScript can be maintained (and upgraded) independently of pgAdmin
- No big impact on the pgAdmin source tree (and consequent learning
curve for other developers).

Despite the difference in numbers, I think those pros and cons are
roughly equal.

Any other thoughts? (Magnus, Guillaume, Hiroshi etc).

--
Dave Page