Re: performance issues on windows with 8.3.0? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Dave Page
Subject Re: performance issues on windows with 8.3.0?
Date
List pgsql-general
On Thu, Feb 14, 2008 at 7:56 PM, Dan Armbrust
<daniel.armbrust.list@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 14, 2008 at 1:31 PM, Dave Page <dpage@pgadmin.org> wrote:
>
> > You must have enabled the debugger when you installed (or didn't
>  >  disable it). You can turn it back off in postgresql.conf if you like -
>  >  there may be a little overhead.
>
>  I see this in the postgresql.conf file:
>  shared_preload_libraries = '$libdir/plugins/plugin_debugger.dll'                #
>  (change requires restart)

Yup, just set it blank and restart.

>  I didn't turn that on, perhaps I missed it in the installer, or it
>  defaults to on in the installer.  I commented it out, and now my
>  performance on 8.3 on windows is in line with what I am seeing with
>  8.2.6 on windows.  That is a lot of overhead, when a connection is
>  made (I realize I shouldn't be making connections this often - but I
>  wonder if the overhead is only at connection time, or if there is
>  other overhead as well)

I'm surprised there's so much overhead, but not that there is some.
Any runtime overhead will be in pl/pgsql functions so if you're not
using any, you won't see any difference once connected.

>  >  However, the fact that it keeps appearing implies you're using lots of
>  >  new (short-lived?) connections. That's particularly expensive on
>  >  Windows - consider a connection pooler, of if you're using something
>  >  like php, persistent connections.
>  >
>  Your right, my connections are dropping off left and right.  My
>  performance on windows is about 75% slower than the performance on
>  linux.  It appears that I'm currently dropping connections on both
>  windows and linux.  Does that fall in line with your expectation that
>  creating connections on windows is particularly expensive?

I couldn't quote a figure, but I'm not surprised it's noticeably slower.

>  I'll go figure out why on earth my connections are getting killed and
>  recreated by the pooling layers.

Sounds like a good plan :-)

--
Dave Page