Re: msvcr80.dll and PostgreSQL 8.3 under Windows XP - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Dave Page
Subject Re: msvcr80.dll and PostgreSQL 8.3 under Windows XP
Date
List pgsql-general
On Feb 13, 2008 3:05 PM, Hermann Muster <Hermann.Muster@gmx.de> wrote:
> Dave Page schrieb:
> > On Feb 5, 2008 7:52 AM, Hermann Muster <Hermann.Muster@gmx.de> wrote:
> >> I also checked the folder C:\Program Files\Common Files\Merge Modules
> >> Microsoft_VC80_CRT_x86.msm which is not available on my system.
> >>

> > It wouldn't be - that file is the merge module we build into the
> > installer, and unless you have a non-Express version of Visual C++ you
> > won't have it. It'll get unpacked into the files we need upon
> > installation.
> >
> Where will it be unpacked? Into the PostgreSQL application directory? As
> we are using similar systems, can you tell me if the dll is successfully
> installed on your system?

The merge module? Into the directory you already checked:

> >> C:\WINDOWS\WinSxS\x86_Microsoft.VC80.CRT_1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b_8.0.50727.762_x-ww_6b128700\MSVCR80.dll

> The user I'm trying to install it with is an user with full
> administrator rights. I hope you can help me with this issue, as besides
> other issues concerning PostgreSQL 8.3 we could solve on our own, this
> one is the last thing preventing us to release our application with
> PostgreSQL 8.3 support.

My best guess at the moment is that something is borked on your
system. I've spent most of the week testing various methods of
installing the runtimes and the one that has worked every time without
fail is the Microsoft installer that Hiroshi-san suggested you try.

I would suggest re-running that, but with a slightly more inventive
commandline - eg, something like:

vcredist_x86.exe /q:a /c:"VCREDI~1.EXE /q:a /c:""msiexec /i
vcredist.msi REINSTALLMODE=vamus REINSTALL=ALL /qb /l*v
vcredist_install.log"" "

What that /should/ do, is run the MSI installer (which is buried
inside two, count 'em, two .exe wrappers!) in full reinstall
*everything* mode, and create a nice verbose logfile so we can see if
anything fails.

Once thats reinstalled, try running the PG installer again (also with
logging enabled), and if it still doesn't work, we can start looking
at the logfiles.

--
Dave Page
The Oracle-compatible database company