Re: PosgreSQL is crashing with a signal 11 - Bug? - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: PosgreSQL is crashing with a signal 11 - Bug?
Date
List pgsql-bugs
Rafael Martinez Guerrero <r.m.guerrero@usit.uio.no> writes:
> To me this looks like a cache somewhere that upon read contained some
> incorrect data.  This cache was somehow flushed two-hours later, and
> fresh data was read from disk.

Very possible.

> Could this be postgres problem, or is it hardware/kernel related?

I'd wonder about bad RAM in the address range that the kernel uses for
disk block caching.  Or we could return to the theory I suggested a
bit ago: once in a while the disk controller messes up the last byte
of a transfer.

> The problems started about a week ago after stable production for
> about 9 months.

If you hadn't changed any software immediately beforehand, then that
sure sounds like hardware going bad.

            regards, tom lane