Re: Increasing max connections - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Increasing max connections
Date
List pgsql-novice
Dave Disser <disser@san.rr.com> writes:
> I'm running 7.0.2 on HPUX 10.20.  I'd like to use persistent
> connections from my web server, but find myself with too many backends
> as a result.

> I tried using the -N 96 -B 192 options for postmaster, but the backends seem
> to die mysteriously if I have any more than 32 max backends.

Hm.  I've run many more than that on HPUX 10.20 ... possibly you are
running out of swap space or kernel file table slots?  Or just plain old
MAXUPRC (processes per user) limit?

The failures might be less mysterious if you look in the postmaster's
logfile (you are not starting it with -S, I hope, else you won't get
any log output).

            regards, tom lane