Re: plpgsql functions and NULLs - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: plpgsql functions and NULLs
Date
List pgsql-sql
Don Drake <dondrake@gmail.com> writes:
> On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 16:32:02 -0800 (PST), Stephan Szabo
> <sszabo@megazone.bigpanda.com> wrote:
>> Actually, now that I think about it, I wonder if that's a good thing to
>> use because I don't think that'll use indexes to do the search.  You may
>> want to do some testing to see how it runs for you.

> I'm constraining on other columns as well and it's still picking up the index.

Stephan is right that an IS DISTINCT FROM construct is not considered
indexable.  So it's only your other constraints that are being used
with the index.  You need to think about whether the other constraints
are selective enough to yield adequate performance.
        regards, tom lane