Re: Thanks! Re: Who adds the "start transaction" and "commit" to the intended SQL statement in "autocommit" mode? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Christophe Pettus
Subject Re: Thanks! Re: Who adds the "start transaction" and "commit" to the intended SQL statement in "autocommit" mode?
Date
In response to Thanks! Re: Who adds the "start transaction" and "commit" to the intended SQL statement in "autocommit" mode?  (Bryn Llewellyn <bryn@yugabyte.com>)
Responses Re: Thanks! Re: Who adds the "start transaction" and "commit" to the intended SQL statement in "autocommit" mode?  (Bryn Llewellyn <bryn@yugabyte.com>)
List pgsql-general

> On Feb 20, 2023, at 11:57, Bryn Llewellyn <bryn@yugabyte.com> wrote:
> 2. If I send over "begin" and then "insert into s.t(v) values(42)", then (so far) a second session will not see the
effectof my SQL's. It sees this only when I send over "commit". (If I send over "rollback" instead of "commit", then
othersessions never know what I did.)

This may or may not be true.  If the second session currently has a transaction open in REPEATABLE READ or SERIALIZABLE
mode,it *won't* see the effects of that statement, since it took its snapshot at the start of the transaction (to be
technical,at the first statement in that transaction), and holds it until commit time.  However, a transaction in READ
COMMITTEDmode *will* see the results after the statement completes.

> I can't see that a client-side "autocommit off" mode like psql supports brings me anything of value.

There's general agreement on that point.

    https://www.cybertec-postgresql.com/en/disabling-autocommit-in-postgresql-can-damage-your-health/