Re: Is my MySQL Gaining ? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Dustin Sallings
Subject Re: Is my MySQL Gaining ?
Date
List pgsql-general
On Dec 29, 2003, at 6:40, Ericson Smith wrote:

> In terms of using MySQL or Postgresql, lets all face it, most data
> storage work could be easily and efficiently handled by text files,
> since there needs to be just infrequent inserts and updates, and
> mostly reads. The majority of interfaces exposed on the web follow
> this paradigm, and include:
> * Content management
> * Catalogs
> * Shopping cart stuff
> * User management
>
> Yes, our powerful and easy to use PG can do all of that too, but
> SQLite, Sleepycat DBM files

    In case of SQLite, BDB, plain files, etc... that all requires there to
be only a single system running your app and DB through the lifetime of
the application.

    Transactions are definitely required for most of those things to work
correctly (how do you turn a shopping cart into an order correctly
without a transaction?).  SQLite and BDB will get you there given the
previous caveat.

    Neither really gives you an easy way to look at your data directly.
SQLite's tools are no psql, and I've had problems trying to read data
from apps that use sqlite while it's got the thing open (file locking
problems).

--
SPY                      My girlfriend asked me which one I like better.
pub  1024/3CAE01D5 1994/11/03 Dustin Sallings <dustin@spy.net>