Re: shared_buffers and shmmax what are the max recommended values? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Anton Melser
Subject Re: shared_buffers and shmmax what are the max recommended values?
Date
List pgsql-general
>  With 6GB of RAM, after that you could merrily increase shared_buffers to
>  200000 or so and possibly increase performance.  Just watch your
>  checkpoints--they'll have more activity as you increase the buffer size,
>  and from your description you've still got checkpoint_segments at the tiny
>  default size.  You say this is a web app, those typically aren't write
>  heavy so you'll probably be OK.

Thanks, I'll get onto that...
There is actually quite a bit of write (at least the dump is
increasing far more than what is being added manually by content
writers... and I'm not even certain where it is coming from but that
is another story!), and yes checkpoint_segments is at the default...
if I increase to 10 or so will that be better?
btw, we have a warm standby via wal copies if that makes a difference...
Cheers
Anton