Re: recommendations for reducing mem usage on local dev machine - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Anton Melser
Subject Re: recommendations for reducing mem usage on local dev machine
Date
List pgsql-general
> It's fairly likely that that report is misleading: most Unix versions
> of "top" report Postgres' shared memory as belonging to *each* backend,
> and I'll bet taskmanager is doing the same thing.  You could reduce
> shared memory usage (cut shared_buffers in particular), which might make
> the reported usage drop to say 20mb per process, but you only saved
> 20mb not 20*5.
>
> It sounds to me like you're simply wishing for more than your box can
> handle.  Have you thought about running the client and server parts of
> your development on separate boxes?  Or maybe install an OS with less
> overhead than Windoze?

Thanks for your advice Tom. And you are probably right - at work with
1.5gig I can even get this + VS2005 + EntMan 2005 open without it
starting to swap. I have had nasty experiences running eclipse in both
Gentoo and Fedora (even though the production environment is Suse, so
it might even make more sense), and with KDE/Gnome these days, I don't
think there is much difference with XP...
I guess I'm just waiting till a system with native virtualisation (no
more reboots!) and enough memory comes into my price range before
doing an upgrade :-).
Thanks - I'll just have to keep my open apps to a minimum!
Cheers
Anton