recommendations for reducing mem usage on local dev machine - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Anton Melser
Subject recommendations for reducing mem usage on local dev machine
Date
Re: recommendations for reducing mem usage on local dev machine  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
List pgsql-general
Hi,
I am stuck for the moment with 1gig of ram on a win xp machine running
a 8.2.3 postgres. With the java website taking 300meg, eclipse taking
250meg+, firefox 150meg+, all of which are going to be nasty to reduce
the mem usage of, I am looking at reducing postgres usage (the java
website runs on postgres). The db is not really a bottleneck for
development, so I am not concerned about reducing things very low. At
the moment I have around 10 postgres processes in the taskmanager, 5
of which are taking around 40meg. While the website is very db
intensive, I really need to get this down to under 100meg to stop my
system starting to swap.
Any ideas? I looked at postgresql.conf but don't really know what is
going to get the mem usage down when the db is not really being used.
Cheers
Anton