Re: Explain buffers wrong counter with parallel plans - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Adrien Nayrat
Subject Re: Explain buffers wrong counter with parallel plans
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Hi,

On 05/02/2018 05:22 PM, Robert Haas wrote:
> On Tue, May 1, 2018 at 4:57 PM, Andres Freund <andres@anarazel.de> wrote:
>> Robert, you added this as an open item. I don't think it's clear that
>> there's a bug here, and even less clear that it's something new for
>> v11. Am I understanding that right?  Should we close this open item?
>
> Yeah, I added it in response to the original post, but it sounds like
> this is just another case of somebody being confused by the fact that
> EXPLAIN divides the row counts, startup time, total time, and number
> of rows filtered by the loop count.  So it's not an open item.

To precise, I am not confused by these counters. They do not change between 9.6
and 10.

I am confused by buffers counter which are differents between 9.6 and 10.

In 9.6 gather node reports sum of buffers for main process + workers. In 10,
gather node only reports buffers from the main process.

Thanks,

--
Adrien

Attachment