Re: defining yuor own commands in PG ? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Filip Rembiałkowski
Subject Re: defining yuor own commands in PG ?
Date
Re: defining yuor own commands in PG ?  (Israel Brewster <israel@frontierflying.com>)
List pgsql-general

2009/12/18 Gauthier, Dave <dave.gauthier@intel.com>

Can you define your own commands in PG.

In psql, yes:

\set sel 'SELECT * FROM'
:sel clients;

\set desc '\\d'
:desc table

E.g., if users from other DBs use “describe foo” to get the metadata for foo, is there a way I can create a command “describe” to = “\d” ?

But what's wrong with "\d"? For me, its like the first thing people learn when practicing postgres.
It is even faster to type than DESCRIBE, right?

IMO, when you will bend postgres to mimick other DBMS, you will hide its real power from users.

--
Filip Rembiałkowski
JID,mailto:filip.rembialkowski@gmail.com