Re: restore a dump db from tar file - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Filip Rembiałkowski
Subject Re: restore a dump db from tar file
Date
List pgsql-general
2008/10/6 Alain Roger <raf.news@gmail.com>:
> Hi,
>
> i backup my database "sewe" using a standard process.
> 1. it backups only database and not roles :-( roles are backuped separately.
> 2. backup is a tar file
> 3. backup command is : pg_dump -v -o -U myuser -ci -Ft -f sewe.tar sewe

You know what all these options mean, do you?
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.2/static/app-pgdump.html

> Question
> how can i restore it now ?

use pg_restore
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.2/static/app-pgrestore.html

> could something like that could work on Windows XP ?
> createdb sewe
> gunzip -c sewe.tar | psql sewe

No, it will not work.
Your archive is in "tar" format. gunzip is not needed here.

use something like
pg_restore -d <destination db name> <file name>

HTH

--
Filip Rembiałkowski