Re: pg_dumpall dies - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: pg_dumpall dies
Date
List pgsql-general
Henrik Farre <look@my.signature.txt> writes:
> I just been choosen as sys adm on a small network. We have a old Sun Ultra
> 1 running postgresql 7.1.3. I would like to migrate the database to a new
> machine and a newer version of postgresql. But when I run the pg_dumpall
> command I get the followering error, after a while:

> WARNING: owner of type 'counter' appears to be invalid
> dumpRules(): SELECT failed for rules associated with table "counter".
>         Explanation from backend: 'pqReadData() -- backend closed the channel unexpectedly.

It sounds like you have a badly corrupted database :-(.  However, the
pg_dump message is of little help in delving further than that.  What
shows up in the postmaster log?  If the backend is dumping core, can
you get a stack trace?

            regards, tom lane