Re: Theory of operation of collation patch - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Theory of operation of collation patch
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Susanne Ebrecht <susanne@2ndQuadrant.com> writes:
> On 07.03.2011 17:43, Tom Lane wrote:
>> because two expressions that are equal() must necessarily have the same collation
>> property.

> Peter, Tom,

> I am not able to see this.

> If 'abc' == 'abc' is not collation depending at all. It is only
> encoding depending.

Sorry, I was using a term of art there.  This isn't about data values,
it's about parsed expression trees.  See the equal() function in
src/backend/nodes/equalfuncs.c.  If two expression trees match according
to equal(), then they must necessarily have the same collation property,
because equal() compares all the fields and in particular the collation
fields.