Re: [HACKERS] BlowAwayRelationBuffers - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: [HACKERS] BlowAwayRelationBuffers
Date
Re: [HACKERS] BlowAwayRelationBuffers
List pgsql-hackers
Adriaan Joubert <a.joubert@albourne.com> writes:
> Hmmm, I got the following this morning on version 6.5.2 on DEC Alpha
> during a vacuum verbose analyze. Ended up with duplicate rows of
> everything.

Really!?  The referencecount failure doesn't surprise me a whole lot,
given the refcount bugs that I fixed a couple months ago (no, those
fixes are not in 6.5.* :-().  But VACUUM is supposed to be guaranteed
proof against generating duplicate tuples by design --- that's what
all the HEAP_MOVED_OFF and HEAP_MOVED_IN foofaraw is about.

Perhaps there is a glitch in the tuple validity checking logic for
HEAP_MOVED_OFF/HEAP_MOVED_IN?  Anyone see it?

Given that this was on an Alpha, it could be a 64-bit-platform-
dependency kind of bug...