Re: meson oddities - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andrew Dunstan
Subject Re: meson oddities
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 2022-11-15 Tu 14:04, Andres Freund wrote:
>> But ISTM we shouldn't be presuming what packagers will do, and that
>> there is some virtue in having a default layout under ${prefix} that is
>> consistent across platforms, as is now the case with autoconf/configure.
> I don't think it's a virtue to break the layout of the platform by
> e.g. installing 64bit libs into the directory containing 32bit libs.

You might end up surprising people who have installed from source for
years and will have the layout suddenly changed, especially on RedHat
flavored systems.

I can work around it in the buildfarm, which does make some assumptions
about the layout (e.g. in the cross version pg_upgrade stuff), by
explicitly using --libdir.

>> But it's less clear to me that a bunch of defines belong in LDFLAGS.
>> Shouldn't that be only things that ld itself will recognize?
> I don't think there's a clear cut line what is for ld and what
> isn't. Including stuff that influences both preprocessor and
> linker. -ffreestanding will e.g. change preprocessor, compiler (I think), and
> linker behaviour.

Well it sure looks odd.

cheers

andrew